Wednesday 20 November 2013

Scarf Addiction

You know how it is when you start making something and you can't seem to stop.  You feel that you want to keep trying more of the same but in different patterns and of course in different colour ways.  I'm afraid I get a bit like this with everything I make! why is one never enough?  It's the turn of the scarves this addiction seems to pop up at this time every year as you can see in my scarf collection here which is only natural I suppose giving the cold weather we are having and it's threatening to get colder every day, you need to snuggle up in a scarf or cowl and so do the little ones

 Child's Cosy Scarf

You will love making this one because it's the same easy pattern as the Blue blocks throw, you can see how it happened can't you? it's all down to addiction again, I got addicted to the simple pattern, so continued using it to make this scarf then that led to the scarf addiction.



I wanted to use up the dwindling balls of Aran yarn I had left over from the throw but you are never sure if you have quite enough of a colour to get the effect you want so it was a bit of trial and error and sometimes some ripping back, I did have just enough to make this, I would have liked it to be just a teeny bit longer but it's fine for a little one to wrap around the neck at least once I think.


scarves, warm,cosy,simple,crochet,aran,child,kids

Soft and cosy and it will be lovely and warm. This is how I made mine but of course the possibilities are endless.

Pattern
AranYarn 
6.5 mm hook

width 6 inches, length approx 49 inches without tassels 

Chain 24 
First row -Dc in 2nd chain, *chain 1, miss 1Dc, Dc in next chain*  to the end. One chain turn on this and every row.
Second row - Dc in first Dc, *chain 1, miss 1Dc, Dc in next Dc* to the end and this forms the pattern.

Stripe Sequence         
Group One                                    Group Two
23 rows Colour A                     23 rows Colour B 
4 rows Colour B                         2 rows  Colour A
2 rows Colour A                         4 rows Colour B

1 - 2 - 1 -2 -1

To finish weave in ends and place 9 tassels at each end.

I hope that this makes sense let me know if you have any problems, and do give it a go, you can finish it in a night it's a great stash-buster!





24 comments:

  1. Beaituful colors, pattern and scarf !
    Have a nice day !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely,lovely Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks lovely and easy. I might try that the next time I crochet a scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a great looking scarf - cozy looking too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debi, yes it's lovely and soft. :)

      Delete
  5. Love it Linda! really love the pattern in this one. Very simple looking. I've been trying to "knit" one and you are right....knitting hurts your hands a lot more than crocheting. Thanks for sharing your pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome Shari, yes and have you found the bigger the knitting needles the more it seems to hurt. :)

      Delete
  6. Oh yes, I can see why this is addictive. An excellent pattern for a scarf, Linda. I will add this to my ever increasing list of addictions. :-)

    I am actually working on a stashbusting scarf myself right now. Can you believe I am finally stashbusting again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes do give it a try Astri, great you are stash-busting again can't wait to see your makes. :)

      Delete
  7. Great scarf pattern Linda. I am so like what you were describing, I have to make several of the same item, I become a bit obsessed.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I think we all must be the same Meredith. :)

      Delete
  8. Yes, I know about pattern addiction too, Linda ;-) I think it has gotten worse with the stash-busting, because I keep thinking on different color combinations...
    It is such a great idea to use this pattern for a scarf. It looks super cute. What other color combos have you made? As long as you are having fun, keep going...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tying to finish off the Aran so I'm a bit limited, but I will show more soon. :)

      Delete
  9. Such a lovely scarf Linda, cosy, warm, and colourful - so what colours will you choose for the next one? And the one after that? Happy day to you lovely, hugs, Joy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's part of the fun Joy, it's greens and blues next. :)

      Delete
  10. Good Morning Linda, Oh you are so right, I am the same, if I make something I like, then I make lots of the item and give them away to family. I have not crocheted for a long time, I remember crocheting a poncho in the 70's when they were popular to wear and I made a few blankets, but nothing for about 30 years. I changed from crocheting, to knitting to sewing clothes to quilting..... maybe it is time to revisit crocheting as making your lovely scarf would be a nice beginning.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daphne, lovely to have you visit, welcome to my blog, Yes it would be a great one if you wanted to try crocheting again, I would love to learn how to do quilting, I really hope to give it a try one day. :)

      Delete
  11. I like this pattern, too, and can understand why you're addicted to it.

    Happy (belated) Birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara, hope you are having a lovely birthday too. :)

      Delete
  12. Hi there Linda, a scarf addiction maybe but it's not a bad thing because we can use scarves this time of year. Great idea using your blanket pattern stitch for this little scarf, it looks very cosy and warm x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing this project and pattern on Link & Share Wednesday :) It is scarf season here too :) Rhondda http://oombawka.blogspot.ca/2013/11/oombawka-design-wednesday-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, I will always answer any questions but due to time constraints I'm not always able to reply to your comments, please keep them coming I read and appreciate each and every one. xx